Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Review | "The Help"


I've been meaning to watch "The Help" for the longest time, sadly I never got the chance to watch it in theaters.
But recently, I was able to get my hands on the book because my sister told me that I should definitely read it before watching the movie.
And so I just finished reading it a few hours ago and I must say...
WOW
One of the best books I've read in a really long time.
I couldn't put the book down !! I had to force myself to stop because of how good the book was that I didn't want to finish it quickly !! As soon as I started I found myself so into the book that I was unaware of my emotions, I was one with the book.  It made me laugh, brought me to tears, shocked and just so full of different feelings !!
I had to take breaks in between paragraphs when things were intense, it made me sit up straight at some parts and slouch in happiness at other parts.
As soon as I started reading I found myself already halfway through the book in one sitting, the book is quite thick with small writing!
I'm pretty sure most of you have either watched the movie or have heard about it.
 
Set in the time of Martin Luther King's days where racism was at a peak and especially where it is set - Mississippi !! One of the most racist states back then.
I'm really horrible at describing, I know what I want to say in my head but it just doesn't quite seem to come out the way I want it to... therefore I've written the blurb :
 
"Enter a vanished world: Jackson, Mississippi, 1962.
Where black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted to not steal the silver...
 
There's Aibileen, raising her seventeenth white child and nursing the hurt caused by her own son's tragic death; Minny, whose cooking is nearly as sassy as her tongue; and white Miss Skeeter, home from college, who wants to know why her beloved maid has disappeared.
 
Skeeter, Aibeleen and Minny. No one would believe they'd be friends; fewer still would tolerate it. But as each woman finds the courage to cross boundaries, they come to depend and rely upon one another.
Each in search of a truth. And together they have an extraordinary story to tell..."
 
Even the blurb doesn't describe how amazing this book is or what stories it contains, secrets and events.
I cant wait now to watch the movie, to watch what I have just lived through in my imagination come to real life.
 
I can't emphasize enough on how much I want you to read this book, to see life from a different time, a different angle.  It made me see things in a different perspective and it gave me a new found respect to people in todays life that are currently in the same positions as the characters in the book.
 
My family has all read the book and NONE are disappointed with what they have read.
 

Give it a read, I KNOW you won't be disappointed...
I wasn't.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment